Thursday, June 9, 2011

Werner and Multimedia 513

Hi.

I'm currently living and working in Istanbul Turkey at Istanbul International Community School. I teach secondary Music and TOK (Its like a philosophy course for grades 11-12). My time is pretty evenly split between teaching applied music (Bands, Orchestras, Choirs) and academic music (Music history, theory, listening). I've always been interested in technology and melding it into a networked system. To improve the academic side of my students experience I want to flip my classes so that any lecture type lessons I give become interactive videos or web sites that kids can explore at their own pace. That way class time will be freed up for guided practice. The general vision is flipping it so that "homework" happens in class and "lessons" happen at home. I'm interested in this class helping me to realize this vision. Glad to know all of you and hope to get to know everyone better over the next 8 weeks.


Best


Karl

5 comments:

  1. Hi Karl,

    Welcome to the class! You're background sounds great and I'm a big fan of music. I plan to learn to play the piano, trumpet, and sax after I finish school on top of my other goals. What got you interested in music? How many instruments can you play? How long you been in Turkey? Are there major differences between the musical culture there from the US? Since music is universal I was a little curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karl-

    What a fantastic experience to work in Turkey- I too hope to work abroad one day (my husbands job has projects all over the world so we could end up anywhere)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karl,

    You "vision" is intriguing and I also hope that you are able to realize it through this class. I believe your approach to blended learning is great. I would use it and even include discussion along with the guided practice. You have a unique background and I hope to learn a lot with and from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karl,
    I like your idea of "flipping" homework to class time with "lessons" happening at home. How do you think students will react to this?

    Glad to have you on board!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karl -

    Great to be in another class with you. Like you, I'm continuing to look for ways to incorporate technology into applied music, as I head back to directing bands for the first time in ten years. Best wishes for continued success in Turkey!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete