Saturday, July 9, 2011

SMoore about Film

SMoore about Film is a series that explores several aspects of film. Anything from camera and directing technique to tips for screenwriting. The first episode looks at 5 tips for creating captivating character in our films.

I wanted to create this series because I have two film English classes where we do a lot of screenwriting and character creation, as well as, the study of film elements. This series will give me a way to reinforce some things that we talking about in class and provide a place for those students who miss the in class discussion to receive the information directly from me.

In this specific episode, I discuss 5 tips for creating captivating characters. These tips include giving your character a goal and an opposition, a motivation, a backstory, intentional actions, and believable characteristics. I feel that these are 5 key things to keep in mind as we both watch and write characters.

I came up with the name for this series by doing a play on my name because it is mostly going to feature my discussion on the topics. Although, I would like to include students in the future. I also wanted to have it be "about film" because it gives me a broad term so I can cover a vast number of topics. And I was able to end each podcast with a fun play on the title, which as an English teacher, brought me joy.

Click HERE to listen to Creating Captivating Characters.

Happy Listening!
Sarah Moore

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    It was a little hard to hear but at the moment there is a lot of background noise in the room I'm in so that's contributing to my headset not being very loud.

    That being said, I feel you spoke very well, clear, and didn't skip a beat at all. I can tell you practiced hard and put together a very good podcast.

    ReplyDelete