Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Banned in Concord

Banned in Concord: Huckleberry Finn

My podcast series Banned in Concord explores the challenges sparked by some classroom texts and provides tips and resources for educators who are assigning novels that are frequently at the center of controversy.

The first episode centers on Mark Twain's novel The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which was banned from the Concord library in Massachusetts in 1885. The American Library Association lists Huck Finn as one of the most frequently banned novels of the last 20 years. In my podcast, I summarize the reasons why readers objected to the novel when it was first published and compare those reasons to the objections raised today. I also describe some of the strategies I use for teaching the novel in a racially sensitive way and provide a list of additional online and paper sources.

If I were to produce additional podcasts in this series, I would turn next to Toni Morrison's Beloved and then to other texts listed by the ALA website.

Banned in Concord: Huckleberry Finn

1 comment:

  1. I like how you included a break during the podcast episode. It gives the listener time to digest the information a little before listening further. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete