Friday, July 22, 2011

Five Giant Steps through Virginia

My podcast series is entitled, Five Giant Steps through Virginia.  The series is about the five major land regions of the Commonwealth of Virginia.  In these podcasts, listeners are taken on an east-to-west discovery trip through the five regions.  I chose this subject because I have loved every minute of the five years I have lived in Virgina.  In addition, when I was a fourth-grade teacher, I had to teach Virginia Studies, including the five regions.  Because I was a new resident, I felt compelled to research and learn more, mainly to know what I was talking about to my fourth graders, but also to be knowledgeable about the place I had chosen to be my home for the rest of my life.  When I moved to Virginia, I did not even know that the state had five land regions.  I think my fourth graders would have liked having a podcast series like this to help them to learn in addition to the other resources they were given.
In this series, we learn many things about the regions.  These topics include the geography, major products and industries, important cities, and historically significant places and attractions of each region.  Traveling east to west in this way helps the listeners to follow along, either with a book, a map, or other resource if they choose.  It also is more organized and allows one to understand the specific relationships between many elements that make Virginia the wonderful place it is today.

The initial podcast I created is called, Step 1:  The Coastal Plain.  In this episode, we are introduced to Virginia via the easternmost region, the Coastal Plain, or Tidewater.  I take the listener through the region by discussing the elements listed in the preceding paragraph.  As Virginia is rich in history, many historic places are covered in the podcast, with their significance established.  I enjoyed creating it, and hope that you will enjoy listening and learning.

You can listen to the podcast at the following link: http://susantolivaredtech513.wordpress.com/about/podcast/

No comments:

Post a Comment